Search Engine For This Map Only. Click Here For More Information.   
Modern Plan Of The City And Environs Of Dublin 1798 MAPCO

Modern Plan Of The City And Environs Of Dublin 1798

Reilly's Bridge, Royal Canal, Lock VIII, Coat of Arms, & Map Title - To Her Excellency Frances Countess Camden, &c. Royal Canal, Lock VII, North Division, & Map Title Road To Finglas, Road To Glassnevin, Overfal, Compass Rose, Westmoreland Bridge, Royal Canal, Lock VI, Lock V, Lock IV, Lock III, Cross Guns, Cowley Place, North Division, Circular Road, Blaquiere Bridge, Phibsborough, Royal Circus, Elizabeth Street, & Florinda Place Compass Rose, Drumcondra, Ballybough River, Patrick's Lane, Royal Canal, Lock III, Binns Bridge, Lock II, North Division, Circular Road, Synnot Place, Sherrard Street, Belvedere Place, & Clarke Bridge Richmond, Ballybough Bridge, Ballybough River, Philipsburgh Lane, Fair View, Marino, Patrick's Lane, Annesley Bridge, Sea (Covered At High Water), Clarke Bridge, Royal Canal, & Newcomen Bridge Marino, Road To Malahide, Crescent, Road To Raheny, Road To Clontarf, Charter School, Sea (Covered At High Water), & Ballybough River At Low Water
Map Title, Road From Navan, Black Horse Lane, Phenix Park (Phoenix Park), Circular Road, Road From Castlenock, & Royal Infirmary Map Title, Road From Rataoth, Cabragh Lane, Circular Road, Female Orphan House, Black Horse Lane, Prussia Street, Aughrim Street, Garden Lane, Manor Street, Chicken Lane, Stonybatter, Brunswick Street, King Street, Arbour Hill, Oxmantown Green, Royal Infirmary, Montpeller Hill, Horse Square, Royal Square, New Square, Blue Coat Hospital, & Blackall Street Circular Road, Phibsborough, Monk Place, Glassmanogue, Royal Canal, Royal Circus, Whites Lane, Eccles Street, Eccles Lane, Blessington Street, Margarot Place, Paradise Row, Upper Dorset Street, Bradogue River, New House Of Industry, Broad Stone, Aqueduct, Constitution Hill, Dorset Street, Bethesda Chapel, Henrietta Street, Stable Lane, Henrietta Lane, Bolton Street, Stable Lane, Dominick Street, Turnagain Lane, Cherry Lane, Stanley Street, Stanhope Street, Grange Gorman Lane, Nunnery, Old House Of Industry, Brunswick Street, Upper Church Street, Georges Lane, King Street, Red Cow Lane, St Pauls Church, Pauls Walk, Blackall Street, Queens Street, Smithfield, Brown Street, Duck Lane, Carters Lane, Bow Lane, Bow Street, Stirrup Lane, Bedford Lane, May Lane, St Michaels Church, Old Church Street, Derry Street, Coleraine Street, Linen Hall, Lisburn Street, Linenhall Street, Lurgan Street, Beresford Street, Anne Street, Balls Lane, Cuckow Lane, Georges Hill, Marys Lane, Greek Street, Bull Lane, Fishers Lane, Little Mary Street, Green Street, New Gaol, Little Britain Street, Halton Street, Petticoat Lane, Boot Lane, Stable Lane, PMH, Capel Street, Marys Abbey, Cross Lane, Loftus Lane, Britain Lane, Ryders Lane, Great Britain Street, Stable Lane, Stafford Street, Jervis Street, Mary Street, & Abbey Street Upper Dorset Street, Gardiner Street, Sherrard Street, Belvedere Place, Fitz Gibbon Street, Circular Road, Carolin Row, Nunnery, Frederick Street, Stable Lane, Charlemont House, Palace Row, Rutland Square, Stable Lane, Granby Place, Granby Row, Lying In Hospital, Cavendish Row, Gardiners Row, Denmark Street, Gardiners Place, Mountjoy Square, Great Charles Street, Stable Lane, Great George Street, Temple Street, Grenville Street, Mountjoy Place, Rutland Street, Great Britain Street, Summer Hill, Cumberland Street, Gloucester Street, Gardiners Street, Belle Street, Buckingham Street, Nugent Lane, Aldborough House (Aldboro House), Amiens Street, Gloucester Place (Gloster Place), Mecklenburgh Street, Dominick Street, Great Britain Street, Denmark Street, Market, Coles Lane, Simpsons Lane, Henry Street, Moore Street, Off Lane, Moore Lane, Sackville Street, Gregs Lane, St Thomas, Stable Lane, Marlborough Street, Elephant Lane, Earl Street, Stable Lane, Tuckers Row, Tyrone House, Cope Street, Marlborough Green (Marlboro Green), Blenham Street, Abbey Street, Gardiner Street, Mabbot Street, Montgomery Street, Moland Street, Liffey Street, Lower Liffey Street, Princes Street, The Lots, Batchelors Walk, Lower Abbey Street, Union Street, Dry Dock, Beresford Place, Custom House, Dock, River Anna Liffey, Carlisle Bridge, Astons Quay, Hawkin Street, Georges Quay, Poolbeg Street, Georges Street, Luke Street, Moss Street, City Quay, Gloster Street, & Princes Street Newcomen Bridge, Royal Canal, Aldboro House (Aldborough House), Amiens Street, The Strand, Sheriff Street, Mayor Street, Commons Street, Guild Street, Wapping Street, North Wall, River Anna Liffey, City Quay, Gloster Street, Sir John Rogersons Quay, Lombard Street, Ordinance Street, Windmill Lane, Kings Stores, Marine School, Great Clarence Street, & Forbes Street Sheriff Street, Mayor Street, Fish Street, North Wall, East Wall, Baths, Wharf, Clontarf Island, River Anna Liffey, Sir John Rogersons Quay, Benson Street, River Dodder, & South Wall
Phenix Park (Phoenix Park), Road From Chapclizod, Salute Battery, Conyngham Road, River Anna Liffey, Sarah Bridge, Island Bridge, St John's Well, Burial Ground, Royal Hospital, Kilmainham New Gaol, Gaolers House, Inchicore Road, Road From Naas, Old Gaol, Kilmainham, Kilmainham Lane, Circular Road, & Grand Canal Montpeller Hill, Temple Street, Horse Square, Barracks, Royal Square, Phenix Park (Phoenix Park), Gate, Park Gate Street, Long Meadows, Barrack Street, Flood Street, Liffey Street, Sand Quay, Sliver Street, River Anna Liffey, Barrack Bridge, Slip, Stevens Lane, Stevens Hospital, Mill Race, Galway Walk, Cooks Lane, Watling Street, Ushers Island, Island Street, Bonham Street, Four Court Marshalsea, Mass Lane, Bow Bridger, Bow Lane, St Patricks Hospital, Mt Brown, James's Street, Workhouse, Bason Lane (Basin Lane), City Bason (City Basin), Fountain, St James's Church, Soldiers Hospital, Echlin Lane, Canal Place, Canal Harbour, Portland Street, Market House, Robert Street, Ransford Street, Cherrytree Lane, James's Gate, Thomas Street, Crane Lane, Belview Lane, Taylors Lane, Cryllis Yard, Grand Canal, City Water Course, Marrow Bone Lane, Tenter Fields, Cork Street, Dolphins Barn Lane, & Love Lane Hendrick Street, John Street, Tighe Street, Ellis's Quay, Queen Street, Hay Market, Bridewell Lane, West Arran Street, Smithfield, North Church Street, Phenix Street (Phoenix Street), Stable Lane, Arran Quay, Lincolns Lane, Bow Lane, St Michaels Church, Hammond Lane, Old Church Street, Greek Street, Bull Lane, Fishers Lane, Pill Lane, New 4 Courts & Public Offices, Moro'n Place, Kings Inn Quay, Monmath Street, Charles Street, Ormond Mews, Arran Street, Upper Ormond Quay, Marys Abbey, Capel Street, Great Strand Street, Lower Ormond Quay, River Anna Liffey, Queens Bridge, Old Bridge, Ormond Bridge, Essex Bridge, Ushers Island, Island Street, Bonham Street, Four Court Marshalsea, Mass Lane, Mash Lane, Thomas Street, Bridge Foot Street, Bridge Foot, Ushers Quay, Ushers Lane, Usher Street, Dog & Duck Yard, Ushers Court, Allen Court, Wormwood Gate, Mullinahack, John Street, New Row, Market House, Bridge Street, Merchants Quay, Church, Swan Alley, Skippers Lane, Chapel Yard, Rosemary Lane, Winetavern Street, Upper Bridge Street, Cutpairse Row (or Curpurse Row), Corn Market, Kelzars Lane (or Keizars Lane), Audeons Arch (St Audoen's Arch), Audeons Church (St Audoen's Church), Schoolhouse Lane, Barrs Lane, Michael Lane, Cock Hill, High Street, Macullas  Alley, Angel Alley, Back Lane, City Market, Nicholas Street, Christ Church Lane, Johns Lane, Skinner Row, Tholsel, St Nicholas Church, Kennedys Lane, Ross Lane, Werburgh Street, Fishamble Street, Music Hall, Wood Quay, Essex Quay, Lower Exchange Street, Smock Alley, Patten Alley (Patten's Lane), Copper Alley, Exchange Street, Parliament Street, Pembroke Court, Castle Street, Coles Alley, Hoeys Court, Little Ship Street, Great Ship Street, Corkhill, Exchange, Exchange Court, Old Custom House, Crane Lane, Essex Street, Crampton Court, Castle, Garden, Thomas Court, St Catherines Church, Hanbury Lane, Meath Market, Cryllis Yard, Earl Street, Meath Row, Meath Street, Molineux Yard, Vicar Street, Engine Alley, Swifts Alley, Cork Lane, Tripoli, Jacksons Alley, Cole Alley, Meath Hospital, Tenter Fields, Summer Street, Braithwaite Street, Pool Street, John Street, Pimlico, Great Elbow Lane, Little Elbow Lane, Croslick Alley, Garden Lane, Flag Alley, Carman Hall, Ash Street, Park Street, Hanover Street, Marks Alley, Francis Street, Plunket Street, Nicholas Hospital (St Nicholas's Hospital), Hanover Lane, Limerick Alley, Patrick Street, Brides Alley, Bull Alley, Goodmans Alley, Close Alley, St Patricks Cathedral, Mitre Alley, St Bridgets Church, Bride Street, Chancery Lane, Golden Lane, Maiden Lane, Wood Street, White Friar Street, Peter Street, F C, Library, Palace, Kevin Street, Bishop Street, Upper Kevin Street, Cork Street, Cork Bridge, Ormond Street, Weavers Square, Chambre Street, Upper Coombe, Byrnes Hill, Ardee Street, Aitkinson Alley, Mutton Lane, Brabazon Row, Brabazon Street, Hunts Alley, Fordam Alley, Skinners Alley, New Market, Mill Lane, Mill Street, Warren Mount, Wards Hill, Lower Coombe, St Lukes Church, Poddle, New Row, Black Pitts, Fumbailies Lane, Malpas Street, New Street, Kevin Street, Cathedral Lane, Cabbage Garden, & Long Lane Jervis Street, Swifts Row, Great Strand Street, Lower Liffey Street, Batchelors Walk, Lower Ormond Quay, River Anna Liffey, Old Custom House, Essex Street, Crampton Street, Sycamore Alley, Eustace Street, Temple Lane, Dame Street, Cecilia Street, Crow Street, Fownes Street, Temple Bar, Crown Alley, Cope Street, Anglesea Street, Crampton Quay, Astons Quay, Fleet Street, Parliament Street, Parliament House, College Green, College Street, Trinity College, Hawkin Street, Georges Street, Luke Street, Moss Street, Princes Street, Townsend Street, Park Place, Mark Street, Moss Lane, Provost House and Garden, College Park, Vice Provosts Garden, Palace Street, Garden, Great Georges Street, Dame Street, Mc????? Pl, Trinity Street, St Andrews Lane, Andrews Street, Church Lane, Suffolk Street, Post Office, St Andrews Church, Exchequer Street, Eade Street, Castle Market, Drury Lane, William Street, Copingers Lane, Clarendon Street, Johnsons Court, Pitt Street, Grafton Street, Stephen Street, Great Longford Street, Longford Street, White Friar Street, Aungier Srteet, Digges Lane, Little Longford Street, Bow Lane, Mercer Street, Clarendon Market, Chatham Street, King Street, Glovers Alley, Nassau Street, Leinster Street, Park Street, Harcourt Place, Clare Street, Duke Street, Duke Lane, Gunthan Lane, Anne Street, Dawson Street, Molesworth Street, Frederick Street, Stable Lane, Annes Church, Mayorauit House (Mansion House), Kildare Street, Leinster House, Kildare Place, Stable Lane, Upper Merrion Street, Merion Square, Lacys Lane, White Friar Street, Peters Row, Bishop Street, Upper Kevin Street, St Kevins Church, Long Lane, St Peters Church, York Street, Stable Lane, French Street, Digges Street, Redmond Hill, Cheaters Alley, Stable Lane, Cuffe Street, Kevins Port, Montague Street, Camden Street, Harcourt Street, St Stephens Green, Equestrian Statue Of King George IInd, St Stephens Green West, St Stephens Green North, St Stephens Green East, St Stephens Green South, Merion Row, Baggot Street, Hume Street, Ely Place, Leeson Street, Pembroke Street, & Fitzwilliam Square Lombard Street, Townsend Street, Moss Lane, Vice Provosts Garden, Westland Row, Cumberland Street, Boyne Street, Sandwich Street, Hanover Street, Hanover Quay, Great Brunswick Street, Erne Street, Great Clarence Street, Grand Canal Quay, Charles Street, Grand Canal Docks, Great Boyne Street, Barrow Street, Shannon Street, Forbes Street, Charlotte Quay, Harcourt Place, Hamilton Row, Denzile Street, Wentworth Place, Lower Merrion Street, Stable Lane, Holles Street, Grants Row, Grattan Street, Merion Square, Merion Square North, Merion Square South, Merion Square East, Lower Mount Street, Upper Mount Street, Warrington Place, Grand Canal Street, Maquay Bridge, Lock I, Conyngham Bridge, Lock II, Huband Bridge, Lock III, Fitzwilliam Street, Baggot Street, Fitzwilliam Square, Vaux Street, Macartney Bridge, Eastmoreland Place, & Dublin City Coat Of Arms Benson Street, Hanover Quay, Grand Canal Docks, Sea Locks, Graving Docks, Ringsend, Saltworks, South Wall, Charlotte Quay, Brunswick Street, Ringsend Bridge, Shannon Street, Great Boyne Street, Great Britain Quay, Glass House, Old Course Of Rover Dodder, River Dodder, Distillery, Beggars Bush, Watery Lane, & Dublin City Coat Of Arms
Grand Canal, Harcourt Lock, Griffith Bridge, & New Custom House Old Circular Road, City Water Course, Commons, Dolphins Barn Lane, Dolphins Barn, Chapel, South Division, Love Lane, Brown Street, Grand Canal, Harberton Bridge, Camac Bridge, Camac Place, New Circular Road, Road From Cromlin, Quarry, New Custom House, & Map Scale Brown Street, South Division, Warren Mount, Black Pitts, Bonds Lane, Tuckers Row, Dowkers Lane, New Street, Williams Lane, Ropers Rest, Old Circular Road, Parnell Bridge, Grand Canal, Clanbrassill Bridge, New Circular Road, Map Scale, Mill, & Road From Harolds Cross Camden Street, Porto Bello, Charlotte Street, Harcourt Street, Hatch Street, Old Circular Road, Leeson Street, Fitzwilliam Street, Charlemont Street, Gordons Lane, Porto Bello, Turf Yard, Grand Canal, Eustace Bridge, Lock V, Charlemont Bridge, Lock VI, Latouche Bridge, Lock VII, New Circular Road, Rathmines Road, Cullenswood Road, Mt Pleasant, Nunnery, Ranelagh, Westmoreland Row, & Road To Milltown Fitzwilliam Street, Vaux Street, Grand Canal, Macartney Bridge, Lock IV, Eustace Bridge, Lock V, Portland Street, Paragon, Fitz Gibbon Place, The Terrace, Westmoreland Row, Hospital For Incurables, Road To Donnybrook, & Map Explanation Map Explanation, Millrace, River Dodder, Balls Bridge, & Road To Blackrock

Click The Map Image Above To View Enlarged Sections

The Map

Full Title:
To Her Excellency Frances Countess Camden, &c &c &c. This MODERN PLAN of the City and Environs of DUBLIN. Including the Grand & Royal Canals, New Docks, &c. Is by Permission, most respectfully Inscribed by her Ladyship's humble & obedient Servant, Wm Wilson.
Click To View Dublin City Coat Of Arms

View Dublin City
Coat Of Arms
Map Maker:
Published as the Act directs for W. Wilson & sold by the Booksellers and Printsellers in London & Dublin, June 1st ~ 1798.
Engraved by B. Baker, Islington.
London. Sold by E. & T. Williams (successors to Mr. Blamire) No. 11 Strand.
56.5cm x 47.5cm (22¼" x 18¾").
3½" : ½ Irish Mile
Richmond - Ringsend - Mt Pleasant - Phoenix Park.
Shows existing and intended buildings, County Boundaries, North and South Divisions, and the Earl of Meath's Liberty. Compass Star top centre. Inset view of the New Custom House bottom left. Scale of half a Mile Irish bottom left. Dublin City Coat Of Arms, with The Great Mace (1665) and the Great Civic Sword (1390s) bottom right. Explanation (reference) table bottom right.

Note that the proposed Royal Circus in Dublin (Architect: Thomas Cunningham) shown on this map was never built.

The map includes the following Explanation:

I. The river separates the Nth & Sth Divisions of the City as regulated by a late Act of Parliament no other distinction correct.
II. The Buildings ................ Red Wash
III. Intended Do ................ Faint do.
IV. County Boundaries ...... Blue Line
V. Earl of Meath's Liberty... Green do.

The dedication is to Frances, Countess Camden (daughter of William Molesworth of Wembury, Devonshire, England), wife of John Jeffreys Pratt, 2nd Earl of Camden (1759-1840), later 1st Marquis of Camden, who was Lord Lieutenant of Ireland from 31 March 1795 until late June 1798.

Click To View The Explanation

View The Explanation

Place Name Search Feature

This map includes a comprehensive search feature for place names. The search feature is located at the top right of each page, with a search box containing the words "Search This Map". The Search Engine enables a targeted search of the 1798 map of Dublin.

You can start your search of the map of Dublin here:

Search Engine For This Map Only. Click Here For More Information.   

The Search Engine has also compiled a Complete Index Of Dublin Place Names, which is well worth referring to.

Please note that this is not a general search engine for the entire MAPCO website, but is targeted specifically at the map currently being viewed. The entire MAPCO site can be searched using the Google Search Engine on the Search Help page.

How To Use These Map Pages

Use the thumbnail map at the top of each page to navigate your way around the map.

Hovering your mouse pointer over the thumbnails will highlight the individual sections, and display a pop-up message showing the areas covered by that section of the map. Click the desired area to jump to a page displaying a full size image of the map section. You will need to scroll down the page a little to see the image of the map.

A coloured thumbnail image on the thumbnail map at the top of the page will show you which section of the entire map you are currently viewing.

Click To Enlarge

Once you are viewing the desired map section, you can click on the map image to view an enlarged image of that section.

Clicking on the map images allows you to switch back and forth ('toggle') between the normal sized image and the enlarged view of the section.

Historical Background

John Jeffreys Pratt, 2nd Earl of Camden. Lord Lieutenant of Ireland 1795-1798.

John Jeffreys Pratt, 1st Marquis of Camden, was extremely unpopular in Ireland for repressing Roman Catholic representation in the Irish Parliament. Implementation of repressive policies by Camden contributed to the Irish Rebellion of 1798 (or United Irishmen Rebellion) that began on May 23 in the districts surrounding Dublin. The rebellion was suppressed by late June with the pivotal defeat of the South Leinster rebels at Vinegar Hill (Co. Wexford) on June 21. In the aftermath of the rebellion Camden resigned his post of Lord Lieutenant of Ireland and retreated to London.

It is interesting to note that this map, dated 1st June 1798, falls right in the middle of the Irish Rebellion, and would have been one of the last acknowledgements bestowed upon the Camdens in Dublin before Pratt's resignation as Lord Lieutenant of Ireland.

William Wilson, Bookseller And Stationer, Dublin, Ireland.

The honour bestowed to Frances Countess Camden by the dedication of this map would have been in response to her patronage for the project.

The map maker, William Wilson (fl. 1769-1801), appears to have been an established publisher of travel guides, directories and almanacks in Dublin, including Wilson's Dublin Directory, For The Year 1780 and The Post Chaise Companion Or A Traveler's Directory Through Ireland (Dublin, 1784). Wilson is recorded as a bookseller and stationer at No. 6, in Dame-Street, the corner of Palace-Street, Dublin.

Click To View The Map Title

View The Title

Of note in reference to the map displayed here is Wilson's Dublin Directory For The Year 1798 : Including The Additions And Corrections Of The Bank Of Ireland : Containing An Alphabetical List Of The Names, Occupations, And Places Of Abode Of The Merchants, And Traders Of The City Of Dublin.

A Peter Wilson was a bookseller in Dame Street, Dublin, from the 1750s on, his publications including the Dublin Magazine. He published the first trade directories in Ireland, starting with Dublin in 1751 (An Alphabetical List of the Names and Places of Abode of the Merchants and Traders of the City of Dublin, included in The Treble Alma). It is probable that Peter was the father of William Wilson.

Benjamin Baker, Map Engraver And Publisher, Islington, London, England.

Benjamin Baker (1766-1841 : fl. 1790s-1824) was a prolific producer of engraved maps from the late 18th century onwards.

Baker's engraving work is found in association with many famous map makers of the era, including William Faden, Geographer to the King, Laurie & Whittle, and others. In the 1790s Baker's work included maps of the Southern Hemisphere, charts of voyages of exploration, canal maps, and foreign views. During this period Baker resided at 32 High Street, Islington (1791-1793), and later in Lower Street, Islington (1798-1800).

Baker's trade card reads:

Benj Baker
No 32
High Street
N.B. Maps, Charts, &c.
Accurately Engraved.

In the early 1800s Baker became the engraver to the Board of Ordnance at the Tower of London, helping to produce the first 1" inch Ordnance Survey maps, published by Lt. Col. Mudge, Tower.

Evan and Thomas Williams, Printers And Booksellers, Strand, London, England.

The publishers and map sellers, E. & T. Williams (brothers Evan and Thomas Williams), were printers and booksellers in the Strand, London, England from 1787 onwards, who sold books to their Royal Highnesses the Duke and Duchess of York 1803-1809.

Their predecessor, Richmond Blamire, was a bookseller and stationer, who was situated on the corner of Craven Street & Strand. At some stage in the late 1700s Blamire "Removed from Craven Street, to the Corner of Northumberland Street, Strand". It is likely that this is where the brothers were trading from when the map of Dublin was published in 1798.

Click To View The Map Section Containing The New Custom House

New Custom House

James Gandon, Architect.

The New Custom House, built on the north bank of the Liffey was designed by the English architect James Gandon. Construction commenced in 1781, with the opening a decade later, on 7th November 1791. The building cost a staggering £200,000 to construct, the cost of which made Gandon a very unpopular figure at the time.

Like the Earl of Camden, Gandon fled Dublin during the The Irish Rebellion of 1798 (Éirí Amach 1798), returning to London where he was born. When the rebellion was suppressed, Gandon returned to Dublin and continued his career as an architect there, vastly influencing the look of the city.




This site has been accessed Counter times.

Copyright Date